The Process of Being Open Minded
To make sure you remain open-minded, it is useful to follow a certain process to make sure that you have the best possible understanding of a particular topic. This process is ongoing, and a truly open-minded person is continuously learning and adjusting based on new input.
- Research and observe. Ask questions.
- Draw conclusions based on research and observations, with the knowledge that you may or may not have a complete understanding of the material and that your opinion may be biased.
- In relevant discussions, make statements based on your conclusions supported by facts.
- Listen to other people’s responses and learn.
- If your conclusions have been questioned, consider the new information provided. If necessary, do additional research to either validate your claim, or validate their claim. Research with the open-mindedness that they may have a valid point, and sometimes you both may be correct but looking at it from a different perspective. It is also possible that you are both incorrect or both partially correct.
- Adjust your opinions and statements accordingly. Share your new information where appropriate.
Helping people embrace life's opportunities.™
Latest posts by Scott M. Stolz (see all)
- What if we created a system that did not throw people under the bus? - January 14, 2017
- Corruption and Greed are the Real Problem - January 14, 2017
- A Starting Point for Health Care Reform - January 14, 2017